I don't tend to be very politically active. Don't get me wrong, I vote and I have clear opinions and beliefs, but it's not very often that I feel strongly enough about something that I talk about it outside of friends and family. However, I believe we should all be shouting from the mountain tops—vote YES on proposition 37, label genetically modified organisms (GMOs).
All people have the right to know what we feed ourselves and our children. Here are some things we do know:
- GMOs have not been proven to be safe to consume- and the research that has been done has cited alarming findings including rapid tumor growth and infertility.
- This technology is relatively new (early 1990s). There is very misleading information out there such as the idea that we've been eating GMOs for hundreds of years. A pluot (a cross between a plum and an apricot) is completely different from splicing a chicken gene in a tomato for improved shelf life.
- As many as 61 other countries already label GMOs, whereas in the US GMOs took off in the 1990s with no public debate.
- Initially the vast majority of Californians were opposed to GMOs until monsanto poured billions of dollars into an advertising campaign telling us that GMOs are safe to eat.
- We have a duty to the other states who have tried to pass similar legislation, as well as to the rest of the world to pass prop 37. We all have the right to know.
VOTE. Vote YES on proposition 37- label GMOs in our food system.
Check out these links for further info:
- A good resource which explores both sides of the issue: http://www.biotech.iastate.edu/biotech_info_series/bio8.html#anchor261298
- Sweet video. Obviously not hard science. But I do very much believe that this issue directly impacts all of us- especially our children. http:/www.YouTube.com/watch?v=E9JApP0zlkE&feature=YouTube_gdata_player