Patch Picks is a weekly feature highlighting editor and reader picks of great local businesses, destinations, services, organizations, ways to spend a day off and more.
You’ll find useful lists to help you, your family, friends and significant others find the best places for everything from Sunday brunch to New Year’s Eve celebrations, pumpkin patches, date-night destinations, florists, girlfriend nights out, kids party places, parks and more.
Read Across America Day: Each year, the National Education Association celebrates Read Across America Day and Dr. Seuss' March 2 birthday to share the love of reading with kids and adults alike. Watsonville librarian Watonka Addison had some book suggestions for library visitors:
- Rick Riordan books, specifically the Percy Jackson series.
- Diary of Wimpy Kids by Jeff Kinney
- Other books with "punchy" titles.
- The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins is the latest in the young adult sci-fi book world.
- Mark Twain's new biography, The Autobiography of Mark Twain. The book, written by Twain before his death in 1910, was released in November and was an instant bestseller.
- James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge have a new book out, Tick Tock.
But Addison also advised, "It's so different for each reader," and people should look for what they're interested in. One way to do that is use NoveList, a search program for 135,000 fiction titles that sleuths out books with themes and characteristics the reader wants. This program is available on the Watsonville Public Library website for those with library cards and also on the computers at the libraries.
Stop by one of the Watsonville Public Library branches—either or on —to use NoveList, find the recommended books or check out other winning titles.