Patch Picks is a weekly feature highlighting editor and reader picks of great local businesses, destinations, services, organizations, ways to spend a day off and more.
You’ll find useful lists to help you, your family, friends and significant others find the best places for everything from Sunday brunch to New Year’s Eve celebrations, pumpkin patches, date-night destinations, florists, girlfriend nights out, kids party places, parks and more.
Valentine's Day Date Destinations: The lovers' holiday falls on a Monday this year—not the easiest night of the week for a romantic outing—but Watsonville Patch has a few ideas for you and your honey:
1. For an early celebration, make the trip to Solis Winery in Gilroy for the this weekend. Try five wines paired with chocolate from DeBrito Chocolate Factory. Cost is $10. Hours: noon-4:30 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. The winery is at 3920 Hecker Pass Rd. in Gilroy.
2. , at 40 Penny Lane, is one of the classiest joints in Watsonville. Make a reservation by calling 831-728-0644.
3. If you're up for adventure, drive south to Monterey and head out on the Valentine's Day Cruise with Monterey Bay Sailing Club. Appetizers and wine will be served while you cruise past marine animals and birds and watch the sun set on the bay. Cruise from 3:30-5:30 p.m. Call 831-372-7245 to reserve. For more Valentine's Day events in Monterey County, check out this Top 20 list.
4. Use the to whip up a special meal. Choose from 100 recipes, including savory main dishes and delicate desserts. Or wait until Friday when the commission announces which recipes won the title the most-romantic strawberry dishes.
5. , open nearly every day of the year, will be serving up its beloved olallieberry pie on Monday. Swing by the farmhouse, at 55 Peckham Rd. near the fairgrounds, with a picnic and order up dessert.
Also on Valentine's Day, students at Linscott Charter School will raffle off a heart-themed quilt to benefit the heart transplant of parent Patrick Carroll. It's not too late to get tickets! Call the school at 831-728-6301 for information.