Identified as the lead organization for a new, six-county Central Coast region of the California Convergence, the United Way of Santa Cruz County is hosting the first ever, Central Coast Health from Field to Sea Summit, at the Watsonville Civic Plaza 4th Floor Community Room, on March 9, 2012, from 9:30 am - 4:30 pm, and is encouraging community stakeholders to attend. Summit participants will gain tools, support and momentum to build advocacy efforts on healthy living policies at the local, state and federal levels, as well as increase their community action and collaboration regarding healthy eating and active living.
The California Convergence is a state-wide organization whose aim is to lower rates of obesity and preventable diseases through public policy and systems change. To this end, they are supporting a statewide regionalization effort to maximize the impacts of local community activity and collaboration that promote healthy living. The Central Coast region includes Santa Cruz, Monterey, San Benito, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo and Ventura counties.
This Health from Field to Sea Summit will provide an exciting opportunity for local agencies and stakeholders to take their healthy eating and active living advocacy efforts to the next level. As evidenced by the Summit’s Keynote Speaker, Assemblymember Bill Monning, “The work being done in our region to create healthier environments for kids and families, to revitalize parks, establish farmers’ markets and provide healthier food choices and nutrition education in schools, is innovative, exciting, and showing local results. I hope to inspire and educated our local and talented health and nutrition experts at this Summit, to take their innovative work to the next level.”
A panel discussion on how to advocate for equitable policy will include experts from PolicyLink, the California Pan-Ethnic Health Network, the Central California Regional Obesity Prevention Program and State Assemblymember Bill Monning’s office.
- When: Friday March 9, 2012, 9:30 am - 4:30 pm
- Where: Watsonville Civic Plaza, 275 Main St., Watsonville, 4th Floor Community Room (Parking on 6th floor of attached garage)
- Summit attendance is FREE to all participants, with complimentary breakfast & lunch provided.
- Keynote Speaker: State Assemblymember Bill Monning
- Policy panel discussion will include experts from PolicyLink, California Pan-Ethnic Health Network, the Central California Regional Obesity Prevention Program and State Assemblymember Bill Monning’s office.
- Networking opportunities and presentations on the benefits of regionalizing efforts.
- Developing next steps toward policy and capacity building support
- Some transportation reimbursement available to those who indicate interest on the event registration form
This event is being co-sponsored by the California Convergence, United Way of Santa Cruz County, Nutritional and Fitness Collaborative of the Central Coast, City of Watsonville, Santa Cruz Department of Public Health, Central Coast School Food Alliance and Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Cruz County.